Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Open Letter to Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc.

In honor of today marking the first eleven years of travel through life with the companionship of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc., I am sharing this letter that was penned four days ago and read during my acceptance of induction into the Hall of Fame of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc. - Kappa Iota Zeta Chapter.  Happy Zeta-versary Six S.O.L.E. Survivors of Psi (CAU, Spring 2002)!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last night (and all throughout my slumber), I heard rather clearly the request to write Zeta a letter from The Cocoon today – and read it at Hall of Fame tonight; so, what follows here is part one of my obedience. Love willing, part two will be obliged at Hall of Fame tonight.

Dearest Zeta —

Great Hall of Fame morning! As I sit at my desk to honor your request for a letter, my self-reflection won't allow me to let another moment pass without simply saying THANK YOU! Singer / Songwriter Natalie Stewart declares in her song "Need You" the following:

Even when I need you
Even if you cannot come when I call you
It simply means that I can handle it without you
But I know when next I see you
It'll be just when I need you

Zeta, this is the story of our life together. At Clark Atlanta University, in the fall of 2001, I FELT like I needed you; so, I called YOU, but to my initial disappointment and dismay, you didn't come. With a fervent heart, I prayed for you daily. If only I had known then what I know now, I would have grasped the concept that you DIDN'T come, because you COULDN'T come, because I really DIDN'T NEED you. My revelatory sign SHOULD have been the fact that I called YOU! Little did I know that a few more months down the road, I WOULD see you (in the spring of 2002), and that would be JUST when I needed you. How do I know? Because this time, YOU called me! And as your hymn dictates, when YOU call, I'll answer — not the other way around.

I didn't see it then, but YOU called ME just as I was entering my decade of wilderness experiences, EXACTLY when you knew that I would need you. Not only did you call me, but you met me there, at my wilderness threshold, with a healing and nurturing throng of very FINE women (each at their respective points of growth) who too know you well enough to recognize your voice. You saw where my footsteps were traveling, deciphered the necessity of your presence, and YOU called ME with my oldest sister Candice by your side. Along the way, you called me to stand with you as you called my sister Natalie and my mama too. Even when I thought I had lost my way, you kept me occupied in positivity (and did your business ever keep my occupied) and you continued to shine your light upon my path. Thank you for calling me and helping me trust that you will continue to be there just when I need you.

Nearly 11 years later, as I greet you in this morning's rain, on the other side of my wilderness, I'm grateful to still hear your voice. So Zeta, I honor your call; and, I honor the challenge before me to take my new place among the Elders (in life, in labor, in leisure, ...in YOU). If rain aids in the growth of new life, then I welcome it as majestic confirmation that the destiny of THIS transitional day IS blessed. Zeta, let us TOGETHER recognize that (just as the entities around us that we call nature) the skies are granting us permission to keep growing and be elevated by extending ourselves in loving service to all, whether our presence is recognized or not. WE have life-giving and life-sustaining energy, and this morning's rain reminds us that moment by moment, drop by drop, we are jolted by liveliness into a renewed, precious, and fragile state that is strengthened by our collective existence. I just give thanks that of all of the masses and thirsty places among us, the heavens saw fit to love on US and let the rain meet US where WE are.

Today, with my listening ears (those seen and unseen), I've heard your latest call; and, here I stand (Courageously Authentic, by Choice) willing to answer it and receive tonight's induction with humility. I delight in giving thanks for YOU and for this moment. Fore THIS ... IS ... B.i.G.! I love you now, and I welcome our new experiences on the THIS side of wilderness!

Sincerely,

–me!

From My Cocoon, 03/23/13, 1:20:11 PM




No comments:

Post a Comment